Church Recorders are NADFAS volunteers who make records of the contents of our national churches, thereby promoting the recognition and preservation of the rich artistic heritage to be found in places of worship of all religions.
The items are described in detail and their history researched. All the material is then compiled into a book illustrated with photographs and drawings. This is presented to the church and copies are sent to national institutions.
For several years a dedicated team has been recording the contents of the Church of St Mary the Virgin at Henbury. This parish church contains a rich collection of 18th and 19th century memorials to merchant families and fine stained glass windows. We held an event in the church to highlight interesting items, and organised a study day with a church historian. We expect to hand the completed record to the vicar and congregation in the Spring.
Looking for enthusiastic, disciplined and committed volunteers to make a detailed inventory of your church or place of worship (of any religion)? We may be able to help you. Please contact us here or The Arts Society Volunteering Department for more information.
St Mary's HenburyThe Church Recorders have nearly completed documenting and categorising the records and artefacts of St Mary’s Church, Henbury. St Mary’s Church is of considerable antiquity but it was substantially restored in the late 19th century. The restoration took place between 1875 and 1878, and the first service in the restored church took place on St Georges Day, 23rd April, 1878. The architect for the restoration was George Edmund Street, RA , who also worked on the nave and towered west façade for Bristol Cathedral (1867–88) and an almost total reconstruction of Christ Church, Dublin (1868–78).
A general description of the restoration works and details of the inaugural service were given in local newspaper articles. The Recorders have gathered information about the architect and various artists involved in the design and making of the stained-glass windows and the carving of the pulpit and reredos. They have also made a listing of the commissioned works from the church records. The artefacts have been photographed and catalogued.